Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dog Tags.....and The Word.

Warmth is the new frame of mind we'll soon be in as we prepare for our move from Colorado to Texas
(and I use the word "warm" loosely because we will be headed into more than just your average warm temps), Laurie and Stephen's appeal to remain here has been officially denied and so we are moving forward...or South, actually. 

I thought it was time I dressed up my blogs - to give them a face lift and make them a bit more individual. Hope you like what you are seeing - it's fun and since it's been nearly 5 years since Two Star Mom was begun, I thought different would be good. The words you read, however, will be from the same heart.

I joined a new "extras" website this morning - wanted to find a picture that captures what being a military mom is all about - at least for me.  And I think I found the perfect one - the dog tags draped over the Bible that you see at the right of this post.

So much of our lives - Ron's and mine - has been about dog tags.  Ron and his Navy service, and both of us as parents (and parents in law) of two children in the Army. And as I've said from the beginning of this blog 5 years ago, it's not just about my children who serve, but my other kids, and my grand kids,  who need just as much love, and support, and as many prayers as my soldiers do. 
And that's where the Bible part of this enters the picture - The Word in which we trust.  It's the truth, the promises, the assurance that God is with us - and with all of our family. The military moms website many of us belong to claims Psalm 91 over all of our troops - I claim it, amongst other passages - over all of my family.

Verse 11 says:  "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;"

I have always believed that God's path for us is pre-ordained, and ironically, my friend Sandy mentioned in a comment on my other blog this morning that perhaps there is a fate filled reason for the denial of the appeal to remain where we are.
And I also believe that mankind has often interfered with the plans God makes for us. Is this God's ever protective hand leading us and guiding us along His path instead of the one the appeal might have changed?
Perhaps so.  We will probably never know the answer to that.  But we can trust, can't we?
His Word behind a set of dog tags - it's good enough for this mom.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Prayers and peace......GOD will go with you and you all start on a new journey in this military life.
HUGS,
Karen