Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Journeys...




The house is sold, the ink on the last signature of our closing papers long since dried, and we have been living in a motel for a week now. The check has cleared the bank and we pick up our brand new fifth wheel on Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, we should be on our way west.
Sounds good, right? Yes, and it's also good to see the plan in black and white. But it's also a bit of a challenge. An emotional challenge for this mom.
Coming home from dinner tonight, I realized that all the "things" which make our town comfortable will remain here....and we will be finding new comforts in every mile we travel, in every town, or forest, or RV park we call "home" for however long we stay, and in those quiet nights in campgrounds hundreds of miles from Western NY. We will travel far and wide...east to west, north to south and back again to the North (but not in the winter :) and somewhere along the way I will get used to it all. And find the comfort that I found here in Western NY for 62 years. Nothing will change - I will be Ron's wife, mom to Scott, and to Laurie, and to her Stephen as well, and Kasey and Veronica and Luke's gram. But in a different place.
And of course, I will be a two star mom. When Ron and I left our house on closing day, the last thing I did was to take down the yellow ribbons from the trees in the front yard. Ron insisted that I not save them....and that new ribbons will adorn our RV. I felt a little sad about that, but he was probably right...they had gone through a heck of a western NY winter, a windy and rainy spring, and looked pretty much done for.
Tomorrow I will go to the local Bath and Body Works and fill a basket with some things for the teachers at Kasey's school. They have been great to us all...and in fact today Kasey came "home" with 2 Father's Day gifts...one labeled 'Dad,' another 'Grandpa.' The same thing happened for Mother's Day...mom and grandma packages. So I'd like them to know that we appreciate their understanding Kasey's unique situation these last nearly 8 months. They've always allowed him to talk about his mom and dad and his grandma and grandpa, and how his daddy is getting the bad guys and mommy is learning something that she will be able to do for a long long time...even when she is out of the army.
He has grown up a lot - I know I mentioned that in my last post. And we have been the blessed witnesses to that.
And so, our new adventure is beginning. Oh, I am still Two Star Mom....guess I probably always will be if Laurie and Stephen don't change their plans.
Wherever the journey takes us, however long the Lord will allow it to be, we are hoping for fun, and knowledge, and, well, comfort.
Ron said it all in one sentance this afternoon...."We live in a great country. It's time to see it all."
And just think, you get to see it with us. :)
God bless our troops and those who wait.

3 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

Godspeed dear friend.
If you ever come through Greene Co. Pa. stop and see us.
Come in September we can got to the cover bridge festival.

Linda said...

Congraulations on finally closing on the house :)
Soon you will on the road with many wonderful places to see and adventures to be had. Can't wait to hear all about them. Safe travels my friend.

kbug said...

How exciting...let me know when you make it to Texas...I'll leave the flag flying with the porch light on for you...until then, be safe on the road, my friend..... :)