Saturday, March 28, 2009


Who would have thought?



Yesterday was my last day of work. It becomes official at beginning of business on Tuesday - I am retired. It's been quite a week for me...people stopping by my desk to say goodbye, or to say they thoroughly expect me to stop back sometime when we come "home" to visit Scott. And yesterday was an extremely emotional day - trying to get things done, a few problems here and there, little fires which needed extinguishing. And so, by the time I got to my wonderful party at 3 oclock, I thought I was doing well - tears had fallen during the day at various intervals but I had a handle on it.
Uh huh, sure I did.

It was a wonderful party and I did quite well until I opened my gifts - my co workers were so generous. And then it was time for me to speak. Saying good bye is just not something I am good at, and even though it came out ok, I woke up this morning thinking of all I could have added. There were three banners hanging on the wall with so many wonderful sentiments written on them, I didn't dare read them until I got home. This is also when I read some of the cards which were written by people I have come to love and respect - some of them in the background of this picture. Long story short - the smile on my face above is how I feel - truly. It was taken when I saw Ron and Kasey walk into the party and I thanked God that this is where my future lies - Ron has always been my life, but now we have another excellent adventure ahead of us. I look back on all the things God has brought us through, and I am so thankful, but I am sure that He has so much ahead of us as well.
When Ron and I got married nearly 40 years ago, Richard and Karen Carpenter had a mega hit - We've Only Just Begun.
Honey, here we go again - just beginning. But I have a feeling that every once in awhile, I just might be looking back - to savor the memory of 14 years working with friends in a job I loved.

God bless our troops.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

prayers as you opent his new chapter of your life!
~AM

Ma said...

Congratulations. You will have so many great adventures.

Betsy

Call Me Grandma said...

Ron and Sue's excellent adventure awaits.
Congratulations dear Friend. It could not have happened at a better time of the year. It is the season of new beginnings.

Karen said...

Conratulations. We can't wait to hear all the new adventures in your life.
HUGS,
KAren

kbug said...

It's funny how much our lives can change...sometimes so much that we feel like we're looking back on someone else's life. "If someone asked me 10 years ago if I would have been doing this today, I'd have thought they were crazy." I don't know how many times I've asked myself that question since I began working nine years ago after 20-something years of being a stay at home mom. This whole new chapter of your life is right there on the horizon...waiting for you to embrace it. Safe travels, my friend..... :)

Linda said...

Congratulations Sue. Good Luck to you and Ron on your new adventure