Friday, March 20, 2009

Days with Kasey


Hi friends.

Sorry - it's been awhile since I've been here (or anywhere in the blogging world) but the days are pretty busy right now. This weekend, we are taking some time off to take Scott and Veronica, Luke and Kasey to the circus. Send in the clowns. (I don't like clowns).
Things are winding down here - I have exactly 5 more working days and then I will be an old(?) retired lady. This will be bittersweet for me - the other morning I went into my boss' office, shared a few tears, and said that this will likely be very hard for me to do. I think it's because I have enjoyed my job thoroughly - and have made some wonderful friends along the way.
And so, in just a Monday thru Friday work week, the days of phone calls and emails and processing and procedure writing will end and become - instead - days with Kasey. Selfishly, I feel they are passing too swiftly, and yet this mother's heart knows that the goal is for Laurie to get through school, Stephen to return from the sand, and all of them to be together. Mya, their dog (who gets to live with Laurie), will be glad when she doesn't have to spend her days cooped up in the bathroom. :)
I plan to write a story about all of this - about the coming days with Kasey...and all the ones that have passed since he came to live with us. Pictures and memories, reflections on being his grandma - and his guardian. The story will be written when Ron and Kasey and I are finally in our RV home somewhere across the country. I am thinking of nights spent in a cozy little living room, which is 3 steps away from the kitchen (excuse me, the galley- sorry Ron). There will be "weather" no doubt, but I'm just gonna hunker down and be retired-put a sweatshirt on if need be. That could be the toughest decision of the day - should it be my sweatshirt, or one of Ron's flannel shirts? Anyway, there will be pictures and some of Kasey's artwork, and a few odds and ends from Hobby Lobby :) and give it to Laurie and Stephen for Christmas. By then, Laurie will have completed her first phase of the program she is in and will hopefully be stationed back at home with Stephen. And then HER days will be with Kasey.
I also have something planned about Veronica - about the weekends she spent with us while Scott was living here during the first year of his separation from Tina.
It will be called, "Weekends with Papa" and I will give this to Scott when it is finished.
I hope that each of these books - Kasey's and Veronica's - will be something that will help them to remember the days we have spent together.
So the other day, as I cleaned out my personal things from my desk at work the other day (cleaning a little at a time each day), I found many things that could go into a personal scrapbook. One that I will enjoy putting together when leaving isn't quite so fresh in my mind, and the days of retirement are being enjoyed in an RV park somewhere in this great country of ours.
Stephen called the other night - they've been busy. :( Not what a mom wants to hear. But we are nearly 7 months into it all and on the down side. This is a blessing.
Thanks to all of you who have stopped in while I've been awol. While I was gone, I celebrated a birthday. My 62nd - lots of years behind me, more than there are ahead of me but God has a journey planned and I will follow it's path as far as it reaches.
Hard to believe that we'll be on the road in just about 5 or 6 weeks. But so will my computer.
God bless our troops and all of us who love them.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It is always sad to close a chapter. My prayers are lifted as you open a new and exciting chapter of your life.
~AM

Karen said...

What a great idea, the books for the kids. They will love them and what memories. New adventures...always bittersweet when leaving friends and family but know they will always be with you.
HUGS,
Karen

ABNPOPPA said...

Pops here,

Retired in Sept. of 2008. Nothing like it. Grandchildren and time to do what you want to do. Finally. Takes a while to adjust but I am sure you will make it through.

Good Luck and I like the idea of the book.

They call me Pops

Linda said...

I know you Sue there of course will be tears as you leave work as you leave your Home but what an exciting adventure Ron, Kasey and you will embark upon. The books for the kids is a great idea, I know they will treasure them.

kbug said...

What a wonderful thing, to put the memories into a scrapbook for your kids. It must be, indeed, bittersweet for you...but will be wonderful I am sure. Like I said before, if/when you ever get our way, you must let me know. I'd love to meet you in person..... :)

Call Me Grandma said...

All I hvae for you and yours is good wishes. I hope all your retirement dreams come true.
It sounds exciting.
Let God be your co-pilot and all will be well.

Colonel K said...

Sue, thank you for your families service to this great country! I am sure you will enjoy retirement and new opportunities it will give you.

Military families serve as well with nights of fear, loneliness and heartache but then the pride, the joy of being whole again and the smiles! We have a son in law returning in April from the sand and can't wait to share those wonderful emotions and feelings!

Best wishes and God speed to your loved ones,

Dale