Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Power of a Cookie.



Yesterday I was kind of upset with Scott - not angry upset, just concerned upset. I wanted to have a really good, long talk with him. With his late night work hours and my work hours and early wakeups, I feel like we are ships passing in the night. Know the feeling?

So, I had it all planned - what I wanted to say to him, my concerns, (and I could already hear the "MOM, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY!" ) and all the things that a mom needs to say to a son sometimes.
Yesterday was Scott's day off - I asked Ron if we could take him to a show or DO something with him. It's important to Scott too - but a younger person doesn't always realize the value of quality time like us older folks do. He is learning that though - by spending the weekends with Veronica - time is very precious to him then.


Well, at least we had great conversation during dinner (a great dinner, too, thanks to Ron). When we were done, I said to Scott and Ron - "we should play a game tonight."

Typical reaction from Ron; "She's just asking that cause there's no SABRES game on tonight."

And from Scott: "Mom, you know I'm not into board games."
Sigh. No game.
But as I was putting a few things away in the pantry, I came across a package of chocolate chip cookie mix that I bought a couple of weeks ago - I like making homemade, but once in awhile it's ok to cheat. :) And so, the oven went on, the cookie sheets came out and I got busy. Less than half an hour later, Ron came strolling through the kitchen...and stopped at the cookie sheet just out of the oven.

I said "they're too hot!" He asked if they were actually for us. I told him he could have one if he was good. :) Hollering up the stairs to Scott in his bedroom that there were fresh chocolate chip cookies available in the kitchen, I got an immediate response...'be right down,' and, 'I thought I smelled something baking down here.'

The happy look on his face when he bit into the cookie gave me this absolutely contented feeling. He's eating the cookie and I am contented? You betcha.

Of course I mentioned that the cookie came with a price...and he immediately paid me with a huge bear hug. He knows his mom well.

One day I might still have the talk with him. But so often, actions speak louder than words.

For now, the power of a cookie is wonderful - and I am still smiling.

God bless our troops and those who wait.

Sue

No comments: