Wednesday, January 30, 2008


Yellow Ribbons.


Remember when the war first began? And do you remember the yellow ribbons that adorned the trees of at least one yard on every block on every street in America? Even into the 2nd year of the wars - Afghanistan and Iraq - yellow ribbons were an important part of the landscape of so many homes. Is it me, or is there a lack of those nowadays? Have we become so "conditioned" to the state of war that we don't fly those ribbons any more...or am I missing them? On the way home tonight we went past a home in a very nice subdivision - it was a corner home. Even though the winter landscape from today's weather made things look pretty scary (60 mph winds)and kind of bleak, the yellow ribbons flying from every tree on the property and from the light posts on the front door brought out different emotions as we passed by. First, that someone the owners of that home love is overseas. Secondly, that no matter how difficult today's weather has been, the environment is a lot more friendly than the soldier for whom those yellow ribbons fly is experiencing right now. And, of course, there were silent prayers for that family and the man or woman in whose honor those yellow ribbons are flying.

When Laurie and Stephen were deployed, I bought yellow ribbon from the local craft store - the prettiest yellow I could find, and not exactly the cheapest - and tied bows on every tree in the front yard and also from the light fixture by the front door. Tears streamed down my face as I put them up - and prayers were constant on my heart. Laurie came home first, but those ribbons stayed up until Stephen's post deployment leave. On the day they arrived here, I asked them to remove the ribbons together...and I cried with gratitude that I had them both right here.

In a few months, I will make a trip back to that very same craft store and once again buy yellow ribbon. It lies heavy on my heart - and yet I am soooo trying not to think about it. Trying to live in the moment as they say, and not look too far ahead. It's not God pleasing to worry about the things that are coming - or that mankind tells us may be coming - is it? I will answer my own question. No it isn't. But when you love a soldier - or two soldiers - it's easier said than done. You who have loved ones in the military - well, you understand. And those of you who don't have loved ones serving, you are with us and it is so important to us.

I needed to stop at the craft store today to look for some paper and things for a storybook I am writing for Kasey's birthday...but you can guess what I stayed away from.

Yellow ribbon.

God bless you. And God bless our troops - and those of us who wait.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I have two Oak trees in the front yard. When the war started and my son went I put a yellow ribbon on each tree. When he came home I had him cut the ribbon off one of the trees. Thank God I have not had to put another one on that tree. But one remains on the other tree, I have had to replace it once so far when it got so ragged and a winter storm blew it away, now this one is ragged and I knew it won't last much longer but I will replace it again and will continue to keep a ribbon on that tree until all of our soldiers come home.

Call Me Grandma said...

I thanked God the day I took my yellow ribbon and blue star banner down. I sort of had a feeling of freedom that day. No more worry about a loved one in a war zone. What a liberating feeling.
I was very proud to have them up at my home. But, I was very happy totake them down.
Everytime I pass a house and I see a blue star banner i say a little pray for the military person and his family.

Karen said...

I still say a silent prayer when I pass a home with a yellow ribbon or blue star banner hanging--my yellow ribbons are down now too but I still pray for all those who are still serving.