Monday, November 07, 2011

Not Too Much Changes.....Well, Maybe One or Two Things. 




As the weeks pass and we count the days in Laurie's deployment, (pretty soon we will be on the down side of the count) there are more things to think about.  And some days, as the news unfolds, these things are not always easy.  But this is why we have the blessing of prayer and knowing that He is listening.  No matter how many times we repeat the prayer, He listens.  And every day, He answers.  Day in and day out, war goes on around her unit, but the Lord keeps answering.  Even on those days when I am feeling afraid, somehow He gets me through them  Sometimes one foot in front of the other, but from sun up to sundown, He is listening.  
The last couple of weeks in church I have found myself just taking a moment or two to pray.  The choir might be singing their joyous anthems, Pastor might be preaching his sermon (and I try to always keep listening but that's hard when you are trying to pray at the same time :), or the ushers might be working their way back with the collection plates during the offering.  And it feels like He is nudging me.  The prayers are not always for Laurie's safety, but a thank you for His grace.  I think it's pleasing to Him to hear those prayers of thanks and not just those of asking for something.  Don't you think so? Trust me, and I think He knows this too, I never take Him for granted.   But I  always know He is in our corner...watching, protecting, and loving. 
One thing I have to keep in mind ALWAYS...my family counts on my trust in Him, and that I am not afraid. That's a pretty tall order sometimes and I know they know better about the fear thing - I am, after all, a mom.  I know that Laurie prays as well so we are together in that because we pray for the same things - family, protection, thanksgiving. And a lot of times, my prayers are for strength for us all.  The world can be a frightening place, can't it?
We don't talk too much with Stephen about what's going on over there.  He doesn't watch the news (not a bad choice - maybe I should try this), and doesn't really want to know about it either.  We don't listen when Laurie calls on Skype because it's none of our business, and what Stephen wants to share, he shares. 
The one other thing that is changing is that, after almost giving up on it, the afghan is nearly done.  The boys (Ron and Stephen) are taking back all their suggestions that I buy one instead of knitting one) and Stephen said a VERY interesting scrap book for me to make to go with the afghan would be the process of how the knitting of it  has unfolded.  Never mind this, Stephen!  That it will be done in time is the good thing, right?
And so, as we wait for yet another mountain snow storm which is supposedly on its way, I'll keep on counting, keep on praying, and trusting.  (and knitting). It's a good day for baking an apple pie, and for some knitting and purling. 
Thanks for stopping by - you are a blessing to me and to our family which we are so grateful for.

No comments: