Friday, September 16, 2011

Neither Rain, nor Sleet, nor Dark of Night - and WarHECK NO!!!





Early last week, we got an email from Laurie requesting a few things for the next care package.  Since we were between social security checks and a little short on funds, I asked Stephen if he could lend us some $$.  He said "you've paid for nearly all of them - this one is on me."   So, armed with my list and his $$, off to the commissary I went...on a mission.  And I went through the commissary, putting things in my cart and checking them off the list.  In less than 30 minutes, (record time for me and the commissary), I was at the cash register and out.  And except for trying to find my way around the construction detours, NOTHING could dampen my enthusiasm.  I got home, unloaded all the stuff on the counter, and started packing it all in boxes, then changed my mind so Stephen could see everything when he got home from work.  THEN, I started packing and when Laurie Skyped that night to practice Kasey's spelling words with him, I said to her, "mission accomplished - boxes being mailed tomorrow."   And so, when we picked up Kasey from school the next afternoon (10 out of 10 spelling words right for his spelling test that day- AWESOME Kasey!), we went to the post office and mailed two very heavy large flat rate boxes to Kasey's mommy.  I think it's important for Kasey to see the entire process - all the things purchased, (sometimes he goes with us to shop if he's not in school), the packing, and especially the mailing.  It tells him that Mommy is in a place where the everyday things we take for granted are not available to his mommy.  And that's why it's so important to do it.  So when we put the boxes on the counter, the postal clerk said - 7 to 10 days.  But even if it gets to the APO address when it's supposed to, it's up to the Army to get it to her. But the staff at the Post Office know us now and always ask how our girl is.  This may be contrary to some post offices, but here, it's the norm.
Last night we skyped with Laurie again for Kasey's spelling words, and I told her the boxes should be there this weekend - or Monday by the latest.
This morning, I received an email from Laurie - boxes arrived in the hours following our skype conversation, and she was SOOO excited.  Do you KNOW what that does to a mom's heart?  (not to mention how it makes the eyes leak).
And so, I am already  making up the next box - and that will go out tomorrow.  Not so much treats as just stuff that I think will make her smile - catalogs, papers Kasey has done in school, a candle in a patriotic holder - just stuff that will make her smile.  And  pretty soon, it will be cool enough to send chocolate. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.  :-)
I posted my happiness on FB this morning, and I just read a comment from my good friend Betsy - "how did that happen????"
It's anybody's guess....but I am so thankful.
Good work guys!
And thank you God.

1 comment:

Ma said...

I'm still amazed that she got it so soon. They must be doing lots better over there. Shane's last packages took 3 months. The norm was about 5 weeks! I think God knew that Laurie was needing the packages as a pick me up! I definitely want to mail her a Christmas package!