Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's That Time.



A few days ago, we hugged Stephen as he left with Laurie and Kasey to report for his deployment. He told us to have a good year - and all I could say as I hugged him was, "be safe, soldier" and then a weak "I love you" since my voice couldn't make it past the lump in my throat. I held him longer and tighter than ever before - I didn't do well at all. Which didn't help Laurie either since Ron cried as he shook hands and hugged Stephen as well. When she got back with Kasey a little while later, she was composed, and Kasey was ok too. Go figure, a little kid does better than a couple of senior citizens.
And so, we are into it - his third long deployment, fourth trip to the sand altogether. Yesterday, Laurie and I went to a scrapbooking place to see what they had (they had LOTS of really good stuff-a little pricey) and we will return there this weekend to buy. I need to make a practical list of what I need. Are practical and scrapbooking even in the same language?
Kasey and I are doing a two step - Kasey is dancing around the fact that Grandma is here to help him, although I fully realize that I am NOT "the boss of his toys." This in no uncertain terms from Kasey on Sunday when I asked him to please put some of his toys away.
I've asked Laurie to be straight with me - to let me know when she wants to do something for Kasey that I try to do. She's quite a young woman - independent, but still says very matter of factly that she still needs her mom and dad. It's good to be needed and not only needed, but wanted.
Kasey is grounded from cartoons today ('cause his mommy said so), so we will play a game after dinner. Kids version of Rummikub. Stephen said it might be even more difficult for us because we have to keep track of pictures AND numbers. Smart aleck. So we'll see how we do and then I can write and tell Stephen how we do....well, MAYBE I'll tell him. It depends on if he's right or not. :)
Digging our heels in, praying for the year ahead, and praying hard for all of our troops...not just for Kasey's mom and dad.

3 comments:

kbug said...

hugs...lots of them...

Karen said...

Big HUGS to all of you and know my prayers are with Stephen.

betty said...

Miss You in OP but I know you're nedded and ha
ppy where U are. Enjoy time with Lauri and Kasey and Ron(can't leave him out). Hope time flies until stephen is home with his family. Bye 4 now... Betty