Thursday, October 01, 2009




Wonderful Friends, and A Great Place on a Great Lake.






I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here. We've been on the road since September 16th - have seen some of the most beautiful areas of our country. It's been a great trip so far - and thankfully, we will be in Buffalo by Monday.
The last couple of days we have been in Milwaukee visiting good friends. Nancy, her husband Jim, their great kids and grandkids, and our friend Wendy as well. Nancy and Wendy and I have been friends for a long time - all of us being Military Moms...Nancy is a veteran's mom now but the connection remains. We are three moms who met in our military moms chat room, and will always be friends. We see each other infrequently, but our friendship is steadfast. And every time we do get together, as my friend Wendy said today, it's like we pick up where we left off. And that's a very good thing.
And so, Nancy gave us a tour of Milwaukee today - and a great tour it was. We saw the beautiful old buildings downtown, the waterfront which could teach many major cities a lot about how to build up one of their greatest assets - Lake Michigan.
Tonight, we prepare to leave this city - packing up again and putting breakables in their travel mode - wrapped in dish towels and ready to sit in the kitchen sink for a few hours while they bump along on the highway. We'll head out soon after rush hour traffic has thinned out a bit, and travel another day as we head closer to home....well, what we always will consider our home..until we are done traveling and are in an apartment somewhere.
My friend Nancy always tells us Milwaukee is a great place on a great lake. I agree - but it's people like her and Jim, and my other friend Wendy who make it so.
Military moms have a kinship - we have been brought together by our children's service, and blessed by God to be friends forever. I have so many friends - GOOD friends - with whom I share this bond. Some are moms of soldiers, others spouses, even widows of soldiers who sacrificed all they had to give.
I cherish you all.
Blessings my friends.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so glad you got to visit with Nancy and Wendy. Military Mom connections seem to last forever and the friends we made are the BEST!!!
HUGS,
Karen

Linda said...

That's great that you got to spend some time with Nancy and Wendy. Gosh I haven't seen them in years. While I like Milwaukee's lakefront I am partial to Chicago's lakefront :) Hope you have safe travels back to Buffalo

Call Me Grandma said...

I remember those days in the chat room. Nancy always made me laugh.
That is wonderful you got to visit with them.